Monday, September 29, 2014

PHILZ - we walk long distances for good coffee


I find it SO odd that chain coffee shops (Coffee Bean, Starbucks, Peet's etc., etc. ... ....) can taste SO different depending on their location. Back home, my go-to chain coffee was Peet's. Their coffee drinks have a bold flavor and aren't too milky like I feel Starbucks' drinks tend to be.

Yeah, up in Northern California, apparently things are different. What I'm trying to say is that Peet's coffee here SUCKS a** and the closest Starbucks is over a mile away, so at the end of the day, I'm forcing myself to endure crappy cups of coffee to get me through the day.

And then I found out about Philz.

Just based on this picture, you can probably already tell I how I felt about it...

In my last post, I talked about how Danielle and I walked 2 miles for Philz. Well that was our initial goal, at least. But then we got distracted and when to Gregoire instead. But of course we had to get Philz after grabbing lunch, too. I just made this post separately because I didn't want to make it too obvious that I'm a fatass. 

PSA: Having a chicken sandwich at Gregoire (which you can read all about RIGHT HERE), followed by a coffee + small pastry does not make you fat. You are beautiful and you are more than deserving of good food. Feed your body and soul. Be healthy but don't forget that you need some of those "comfort foods" every once in a while, too. Okay? Good. 


Getting back to it...Philz is all the rage up here in NorCal, where 70 degrees is hot and the hills are ever-steep. Under Danielle's recommendation and our shared craving for good coffee (aka NOT Peet's), we started the two-mile trek and finally made it after complaining and dragging our feet a lot. Philz is unique in that they make their coffee one cup at a time. And I know you're thinking, "Well yeah, when I ask for my 'venti extra-shot skinny pumpkin chai latte' at Starbucks, they make it just for me!" 

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you're not that special. But at Philz, you can be! When you go up to the counter to order your drink, kindly tell the barista exactly what you want, sweetness levels included, and you'll be presented with a perfectly-customized, incredible cup of coffee made just for you. 


Since Danielle owed me money for spotting her when we got dinner a couple nights ago, I also tacked on a deliciously flaky chocolate pastry (that I have unfortunately forgotten the name of) to go along with my mint mocha. It was heavenly. Every sip of that coffee was absolutely amazing, and I don't think I've ever tasted a mint mocha as naturally minty-tasting as the one I got at Philz. Don't get me wrong. When the holidays roll around, I seem to completely abandon my Japanese heritage and go full-on white girl when I order my weekly daily 'grande double-shot extra-hot skinny peppermint mocha'. That being said, you can't go wrong with fresh mint. They literally top your drink with a mint sprig! What more could you possibly ask for??!

I don't even know...

Philz=Bliss. Just utter bliss. I just wish Philz was closer...or I had a car...or I had more money so I could uber to Philz and afford a daily mint mocha. 

First world problems.


No comments:

Post a Comment