Thursday, March 17, 2016

FARMSHOP - a throwback



**This post was written in the Winter of 2015, and has since sat in my drafted posts tab. I figured, "Hey, the pictures are good, the food was great. This french toast was the best I've ever had, so why not just post it as is?" Hope you guys enjoy**

I've been somewhat of a rebel as of late. But not quite in the common sense of the word.

I've been following the very talented Brandon Osorio on Instagram for quite some time, and while I was back for winter break, we met up to shoot around LA. And we were rebels. I mean we climbed on hotel rooftops, studio rooftops, walked in the middle of the 6th Street bridge, and climbed lots of fire escapes. This is what happens when two people who are really into photography/Instagram meet up.



This harmless rule-breaking transferred into my cafe escapades, when I took pictures of my food at Farmshop, breaking their "no-phones" request. Whoops.

But look at all of the great pictures that came out of it! And the only consequence I suffered was the silent judgement of a few other diners.

Some rules are made to be broken.



My cousin ordered the Coddled Eggs, served with mushroom conserva, smoked salmon and brioche toast.


My cousin's friend ordered the Buttermilk Biscuit with blackberry preserves, ham and two eggs. The colors were absolutely beautiful, and I love how it looks deconstructed/half-eaten.


I saved the best for last. As you know, I'm on a never-ending hunt for the best french toast ever, and this is definitely in the top three. 

Two enormous slices of fluffy brioche, topped with passionfruit curd and and pomegranate seeds. Absolutely divine. I'm obsessed with the flavor of passionfruit, but I rarely see it on menus. The french toast was perfectly-complemented by the sweet, tangy, silky curd, a delicious alternative to the traditional mixed berries, powdered sugar, and maple syrup-topped variety. I also loved the addition of pomegranate seeds, which added a bright, crisp note and brought the dish a summery, light flavor profile.

After our enormous brunch, we spent the day at the beach, where summer decided to start the second week of January. Gotta love Southern California.

No comments:

Post a Comment