Monday, October 13, 2014

3 GIRLS, 3000 CALORIES - saturday brunch at la note


Game days are a big deal here at Cal. This past weekend was Homecoming, and what did I decide to do in lieu of game day? I walked 1.2 miles to stuff my face with French brunch. Don't worry, my roommates and I went together so I like to look back on it as a bonding experience, rather than one that I regretted afterward due to the physically painful food coma I endured afterwards.



Prior to this weekend, there had only been two game days, and yes, I woke up at 8:00am on both of those fateful Saturdays to join in the festivities. I even made to it 15-30 minutes of the actual game, so I'd like to say that I'm a pretty good football fan. Now I know I skipped this game day, but I'm going to let myself off the hook for that one...I don't want to talk about that loss. It's still too painful to think about.



Unlike the painful disappointment I would have endured had I attended the game, I had a great time at La Note, a cute French restaurant located in Downtown Berkeley. Also, look at the dog. The dog was definitely a highlight. As you can see, we amused ourselves by trying to take pictures that made us look like we were petting it.

Poached eggs on toast >>>>>>

Also, look at this food!!!!! With a massive menu at hand (it wasn't even that large of a menu...it was really just that everything looked delicious and none of us could decide what to order), we finally settled on one dish each, plus an order of cinnamon-swirl brioche french toast with lavender honey to share. I got poached eggs with home fries and chicken apple sausage. Simple and definitely preferable over Saturday brunch at the dining hall.


Danielle got scrambled eggs, home fries, and bacon.


Rachel got scrambled eggs and blueberry oatmeal.

Also, I'm just going to take a moment to say how thankful I am that I ended up with two amazing roommates. Despite the fact that we were randomly matched, we all fit together in a weird, quirky way. And we all take pictures of our food for about 5 minutes before starting to eat, so I guess you could we have some similarities...

I would go back JUST for the lavender honey. So. Good.

You know what else I would go back for? Their homemade raspberry jam. Danielle was eating it by the spoonful. Literally. I mean, they gave us an entire jar so did they really expect us to only take reasonable portions just for our toast? Who did they think we were?

We are broke college students who like good food. If we're presented with an entire jar of amazing jam, we're at least going to attempt to eat all of it, especially since the only jam we've had while at school is Smuckers brand...definitely not as good.


We really did have an amazing time at La Note. With our different class schedules and extracurriculars, it's often difficult to find a time when all of us can hang out together. I don't think I could have asked for two more incredible people to spend a solid hour making ourselves look like idiots in a public place. 

We definitely overestimated our ability to finish all the food we ordered, but being broke, were intent on finishing everything. This meant that 45 minutes into our meal, we were starting to feel our growing food babies but continued to shovel french toast, home fries, (or as Danielle likes to call them, "house potatoes"), and spoonfuls of raspberry jam into our mouths, laughing at how ridiculous we looked all the while. I now have a good number of blackmail pictures of Danielle. True Friendship.

bonus picture of the adorable dog


Also, a shoutout to our waiter Clint, who liked Danielle and gave her his number along with a koala sketch. He also took a selfie on my phone. So there's that, too.


We truly are the greatest three roommates ever. 3 girls, 3000 calories.

More like 3 girls who blast Beyonce songs at midnight annoy our entire floor with our less than subpar voices. Also, that 3000 calories was probably more like 10,000. But let's not worry about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment