Thursday, February 19, 2015

LAVENDER & HONEY


Many of the cool cafes/food spots I find tend to be in West LA, so it's always nice when I find the occasional spot within a 15-minute drive from my home.

I don't really mind driving, but sometimes, a 40min-1hour one-way trip just for lunch can be a bit annoying, especially when it comes to paying for gas. Oh, and I drive a Ford Expedition. AKA a military tank/gas guzzler (I call her "Thora" - like Thor...but a girl). So there's that, too.

A few months ago, a cute little espresso bar called Lavender & Honey opened up in Pasadena. I slowly started seeing instagram posts of my friends at this cute cafe and put the name down on my list. I looked them up on Yelp, and after looking at the 200+ pictures posted, decided I would get the honeybee latte and L+H toast.



My friend was also interested, and we agreed to meet there for lunch. I could not wait for that toast. All of the pictures on Yelp looked amazing, and I just had to have it.

When I got there, I also looked at the daily specials, which included a lemon-sugar toast. I had to have that, too.


I went up to the counter, ready to indulge and eat sugary toasts for lunch.

I. was. so. ready. SO. ready.

And then...the cashier informed me that they had run out of bread for the day, which meant none of their toasts or sandwiches were available. And yes, that meant that they were only offering salads at this time.

Now, Lavender & Honey is open until 5pm, and I arrived t 12:30pm for lunch. My only question is, why, with 4.5 hours of business left, would they run out of bread, especially when the majority of their food items are bread-based?

HONESTLY!!

I know this rant is very "first-world problems," but I am genuinely puzzled. WHY ARE YOU OUT OF BREAD??! I WANTED MY TOAST. THE LAVENDER AND HONEY TOAST, WHICH YOU ARE KNOWN FOR. 

OK? OK.


So I settled for a Caprese. And I mean, it was fine. It was a caprese - some slices of tomato and mozzarella, with a few basil leaves and a drizzle of balsamic and olive oil. Hard to mess up, so I wasn't really surprised that it was good, you know? Ugh.


I mean...the latte art was pretty, the drink itself very enjoyable. Definitely tasted the honey in there, and I never sweeten my coffee with honey, so that was something I liked trying.

But other than that, I was left feeling somewhat unfulfilled. Next time I go, I'm not taking any chances. I'm going to the grocery store beforehand and buying a nice rustic loaf, which I will bring with me and present in the event that they have, yet again, run out of bread.


No comments:

Post a Comment