Thursday, August 27, 2015

CONEHEADS - sweet rose creamery


For some, "comfort food" means mac and cheese, fried chicken and waffles, or mom's homemade lasagna. Not for me.

Despite its frozen nature, ice cream is one of my favorite foods, which I guess would make it a comfort food. I don't even know if I can categorize ice cream as food, though. You know those pesky surveys/ice breakers that always ask the question, "what's your favorite food?" I feel like the the expectation is to name a meal...like one with meat and veggies or something.

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE food, and all kinds, too! I try to eat healthily the majority of the time, but Sweet Rose Creamery definitely makes it a struggle to stick to that. I feel so strongly about Sweet Rose's delicious scoops that I've decided to dedicate an entire post to them. Here goes.

The picture you see above is from my most recent trip. I was so excited to have ice cream that day; from the moment I woke up, I vowed to drive the 30-40 minutes to Sweet Rose and eat light meals for breakfast and lunch so I would be able to eat a deliciously large (2-scoop) cone while staying within a healthy caloric intake for the day. From the moment we parked the car, I practically pranced to the store. I was like a kid in a candy store, except I'm actually a grown ass adult.

I'm the kind of person who likes to sample as many flavors as possible to the point where I'm verging on being really obnoxious, but I have just enough self control so as to not annoy the employees. This time, I limited myself to two flavors. I also shared some of my mom's samples, too, though...so I guess that brings the sample count closer to four.

After careful sampling, I chose a made-in-house waffle cone with one scoop each of chocolate ice cream and white nectarine frozen yogurt. With that, I left my mom to pay and rushed outside to the closest white wall I had staked out on my way to the shop, where I tried desperately to get an IG-worthy shot before the entire thing melted in the 95-degree heat. By the time I got a good shot, half of the chocolate ice cream had dripped onto my hand. I had to stand, alone, by the white wall, shying away from passers-by in the hopes that they wouldn't see my drippy, sticky, ice cream hand. My mom came and saved the day with wet wipes, though, so it all worked out.

I'm becoming increasingly aware of the fact that I'm making my actions, and thus my character, seem scarily close to what a seven-year-old would exhibit...



Working backwards, this picture is from my second trip to Sweet Rose. My mom got an affogato (ice cream + espresso), while I got another double-scoop - a chocolate sorbet and vanilla wafer-candied orange peel (See the self-control I exhibited this time with my decision to get it in a cup instead of a cone?).



Now, finally - the scoop that started it all. My first-ever trip to Sweet Rose. The one that started my obsession. I have my best friend to thank for the introduction. (We've been friends since third grade. we're kind of cute.)

This was obviously a time when I was a bit more meek. You can see here that I was once a single-scoop kind of gal. It was black cherry, and it was delicious. But thank God that ship has sailed, because I much prefer multiple scoops.

2 comments:

  1. That ice creams looks really good! Now I want some lol XD Love your post, and will subscribe!

    XOXO lovingrosestyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS delicious!! Definitely one of my favorite spots for ice cream in LA :) Thanks so much for the kind words, and for subscribing!!

      Delete