Tuesday, September 22, 2015

BUSINESS CASUAL (?)



Yesterday was the first official day of Fall, and though it was something around 85 degrees for the majority of the day, I was overwhelmed by the sudden urge to bake a million pumpkin-themed desserts and start a knitting club. Well maybe not so much the knitting club part...but the desire to wear knit items still stands.

It can be quite disconcerting when 10 catalogs (my favorite being the Crate & Barrel one) pile up on your doorstep, all splattered with similar holiday-inspired catch-phrases. I have a love-hate relationship with premature holiday advertising because it gets me all pumped about celebrations that, in truth, are still months away. I used to get intense anxiety when people played Christmas music before Thanksgiving was over.

(This little anecdote has absolutely nothing to do with the rest of the post. I just had to get the ball rolling somehow, and nothing else was really coming to mind.)



At this point I think I'm going to abandon my rant about the holidays and LA's Summer-esque Fall weather and just get back to business....

...business casual, that is.

See what I did, there? Because this look is business casual. Kind of. Maybe if the jeans weren't ripped...



These photos are from another set I shot with my friend Justin in Downtown LA. (See other collabs I've done with him, here and here). I was shooting three looks that day, so I wanted one of them to be a touch more office-appropriate - not that I would really have experience dressing for the office. My bosses are children/their parents (babysitting) and a bloggger/jewelry designer who says I can wear whatever I feel like to work, so workwear for me usually means jeans and a t-shirt, all brought together by a pair of Birkenstocks.

Wow, I really do apologize about this post. My writing is neither inspired nor comical today.




This look was inspired by minimalism. It's funny because I always tag my Instagram photos with "#minimalism," yet my photos aren't really that. Yes, my photos tend toward simplicity, but simplicity is not synonymous to minimalism. At least, I don't think it is. When I think of minimalism translated into an outfit, I think of black and white and lack of detail - no fuss and simple cuts.

My idea of what "minimalism" in fashion inspired me to go for a crisp white button-up shirt (sleeveless, of course), paired with my favorite (and slightly over-worn) black skinnies, all tied together with black and white patterned heels.



Though we've established that this would not be an appropriate business-casual look, it would be rather nice to wear out to dinner. It's formal in its simplicity, yet casual in its comfort and details (the high-low cut of the top, ripped knees in the jeans, and playful heels).

As thrilling as this post is, I really think I should just stop typing at this point. This quickly turned into one of those posts that I know I'm going to look back on in five years time, shaking my head at my awful writing and many failed attempts to try to fix what has already been broken (re: the bad jokes/bad writing).

No comments:

Post a Comment